china
Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

China on Thursday promised to donate extra $30 million to assist the World Health Organization (WHO) in the fight against coronavirus.

The World Health Organization, WHO is seeking more than $1 billion to fund its battle against the coronavirus pandemic. The virus which started from Wuhan, China has already killed more than 180,000 people worldwide.

The pledge comes about a week after U.S. President Donald Trump suspended funding to the WHO and accused the Geneva-based organisation of promoting Chinese “disinformation” about the virus, which emerged in the central city of Wuhan last year.

HOT STORY  COVID-19: 382 Dies in Nigeria, 25 in FCT

“At this crucial moment, supporting WHO is supporting multilateralism and global solidarity,” Hua Chunying, a spokeswoman of China’s foreign ministry, said on Twitter.

The donation aimed to support the global fight against COVID-19, in particular strengthening health systems in developing countries, she said, adding that China had already donated $20 million to the WHO on March 11.

On Wednesday, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he hoped the Trump administration would reconsider its decision.

“I hope the U.S. believes that this an important investment, not just to help others, but for the U.S. to stay safe also,” Tedros said during a virtual briefing.

HOT STORY  SHOCKING: Coronavirus Will Last for Another 18 Months Says Bill Gates

What do you think? Please drop comments below


Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.